Wednesday 8 May 2013

Look how far I've come!

Well, my first year at uni is fast coming to an end and I'm currently busy finishing course work and revising for my exam.

I'm actually so proud of how far I've come over the last couple of years, and the last year in particular. It feels incredibly good to be able to say a big stuff you to everyone who thought I would be back on Scilly within a month and dropping out of uni!
When I did go back at Easter for a visit I found myself trying to reassure everyone that I'm really not lying, I really am happy in London!
For those of you who don't know the background story, I started suffering with panic attacks when I was at college, it made everything difficult and I really struggled with being away. So much so that when the first year of my course finished I decided not to enrol for the second year. Instead I went back to Scilly and managed to get an apprenticeship at the Council. During all of this it made things which I used to love doing, a massive challenge. Even going to the shops would bring on a panic attack. It's fair to say that the person that came back from college wasn't the same one that left. I came back a nervous wreck, the only plus side being that I lost a lot of weight and was probably the thinnest I've ever been! It took a lot of encouragement for me to get help for my panic attacks, but finally I made an appointment to see a counsellor and also started getting hypnotherapy. I can't explain how much those steps changed me! Over time I started feeling more like me, my panic attacks reduced and I felt confident enough to do new things.
That's when the move to London came into play. My boyfriend was already in his first year at uni and for a long time we both thought it would mean 3 years apart, until I literally woke up one day and decided I wanted to go...and how glad I am I did! I'm not going to pretend like it's been a walk in the park, the month before I left was a really nervous time for me, and I was constantly worried about how I would cope.
On my first day of uni I felt so sick and nervous I could barely say a word to anyone, and yet I got through it, and during the process I've made some amazing people, who are now friends and I'm studying something that in so passionate about!
I still get the occasional panic attack but to be honest most of the time I forget about them.
So I just want to reassure you, once more that yes, I really really am happy in London, I don't want to come back to Scilly, and actually I'm a little bit sad about this year coming to an end! But I'm also so excited about what the future has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment