Monday 7 October 2013

Happy Baking- Chocolate Banana Marbled Tray Bake

The later half of last week was filled with tissues, throat sweets, a runny nose, a headache and an afternoon nap...yep I got a cold.

I spent my time feeling very sorry for myself and needing lots of cuddles and sympathy (Sam did an excellent job at this-maybe I should have a cold more often?) 

On Sunday I was feeling a lot better, and after finding some overripe bananas hiding under the apples I thought it was only right I did some baking (All to aid my recovery of course!) so I surfed the Internet for a banana bread recipe...Only problem, I don't have a loaf tin here (And I call myself a baker...terrible) so I made quite a few changes to the recipe and decided to make a yummy marbled Banana tray cake to aid my snotty nose recovery.

This recipe has minimal effort involved, and results in a lovely moist sponge perfect on these colder nights with a cup of tea.



Serves 8-10

Ingredients-
150g Unsalted Butter- Softened
100g Caster Sugar
75g Dark Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
4 Bananas- Very ripe
225g Plain Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
25g Cocoa Powder
Milk





Method- 
1) Preheat your oven to 180C and line a tin approximately 8inches x 12inches with baking parchment,or grease with butter.
2) Cream the butter and both sugars together until they are light and creamy.
3) Add the eggs to the creamed mixture one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4) Mash up the bananas until they are smooth and they add this to the above mixture and mix through.
5) Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture and carefully mix it in.
6) Put half of this mixture into into a separate bowl and add the cocoa powder to one of these bowls before mixing it through. 
7) Add a small amount of milk into the chocolate banana mixture and mix it through- keep adding small amounts until the mixture is the same consistency as the plain banana mixture. 
8) Spoon the mixture into the tin, alternating between the plain banana mixture and the chocolate bananas mixture and then swirl the two together using the end of a spoon- make sure that the mixture goes right into the corners of the tin and that it is as flat at possible. 
9) Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture comes away from the side of the tin and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 
10) Remove from the oven and let it cool in the tin for about 15 minutes before removing and transferring it to a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment