Thursday 5 September 2013

Happy Baking- Strawberry Cake


September has come around all too quickly, and I'm still trying to hold on to the last remains of the summer. To me that means venturing out in a dress even though the weather isn't always calling for it. Trying to prolong what little tan I have and of course continuing the summer baking. That's where this little cake comes in.
Strawberries and cream help sum up the summer for me, and I'm determined that one day I'll make it to Wimbledon to watch the tennis with my strawberries and cream. Until then my strawberries will have to come in cake form...So here it is, my last attempt at preserving the summer with my Strawberry Cake :)




Makes 1 7inch cake. Enough to feed about 6 people

Ingredients-
150g Caster Sugar
100g Unsalted Butter- Softened to room temperature
1 Egg
50g Natural Yoghurt (I use Sainsburys basic low fat natural yoghurt)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
125g Plain Flour
1.5 Teaspoons Baking Powder
75g Strawberries- Cut into quarters *
OPTIONAL- 25g Strawberries cut into quaters to place on top of the cake before baking

*I don't like a lot of fruit in cakes as I think it can sometimes make them a little bit soggy or stodgy. So in this recipe I have only used 75g of strawberries, however if you wanted to add an extra 25g-50g then this is okay :) You can also put some extra strawberries on top of the cake before baking! 


Method-
1) Preheat your oven to 180C and either line a 7 inch baking tin with baking parchment and a little butter.
2) Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
3) Add the egg, natural yoghurt, and vanilla extract to the creamed mixture and mix through well.
4) Sieve the plain flour and baking powder over the mixture and carefully mix through.
5) Add the cut up strawberries and mix them through the cake batter.
6) Transfer the mixture to the tin, and smooth out the top so the mixture is level the whole way across. (You can now add the optional extra strawberries on top if you want to- Just scatter them over the smoothed batter and lightly press into the mixture.)
7) Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes- Or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean of crumbs, and the top is a golden brown.
8) Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, before removing the cake from the tin and transferring to a wire rack.
9) Sprinkle with icing sugar, cut yourself a wedge, and enjoy your handiwork and a last taste of summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment