Tuesday 13 August 2013

A little trip to Brussels

Sorry about the lack of blog posts- On Thursday Sam and I went to Brussels for a long weekend :)

We booked the trip through a travel agents, and decided to get the Euro Star because I've never been on it, and I don't really like flying. It was SO much easier! We just got the train to St Pancras station, picked up our tickets and hopped on the train. Security was much quicker than at an airport and we only had to be there half an hour before which left plenty of time to fill up on sushi before hand!

We booked a late train in case we couldn't get the day off work so we didn't get to Brussels until about 8 so we checked in to the hotel and went to find somewhere to get some dinner. Our hotel was right next to Luxembourg Square which on Thursday evenings is a place to meet for a drink outside and the square was really busy when we got there, with a really nice atmosphere :) The European Parliament is also right behind the square!

Luxembourg Square
Our first full day was Friday, which was spent wondering around the town and exploring some of Brussels, we managed to get where we wanted to without using a map (Pretty impressed with that to be honest). There wasn't anything that we really wanted to see so we just strolled around, bought some chocolate (Compulsory!) and played lots of uno (Our holiday game- The pack is pretty well travelled!)

On Saturday we took a walk into the Centre of Brussels which is filled with beautiful buildings, cobbled streets, restaurants, chocolate shops and amazing smelling waffle stands. We spent most of the day here, just wondering around and exploring. It's a really beautiful part of the city and definitely worth a visit! To get there from our hotel we walked through a really nice park which felt really peaceful compared to the busy centre. Saturday was also the day of the waffle! I've only ever has rubbish supermarket waffles before and after trying a proper one I did fall in love a little bit, in fact as soon as we got home yesterday I rejected unpacking for waffle maker research!...I definitely need one in my life! 


AMAZING waffle!



On Sunday we strolled over to Leopold Park near our hotel and sat playing uno in the sun for a few hours before going to check out the market and restaurants near by for a late lunch. When it came it walking back to the hotel I managed to get us completely lost with my "Short cut" even after looking at a map I decided I probably knew better...Note to self- I don't know better...Always trust a map! Sam on the other hand must have a world map etched into his head as where ever we go he's able to direct us without looking at a map or directions, it's pretty weird, I'm sure he's got some special powers he's not sharing with me!



Monday morning came around far to quickly, and it was time to make our way back to the station, onto the euro star and home again!...Now it's time to plan our next trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment